Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tourin' the South Part 5

(Last summer my mom and I went on a road trip through the South. I wrote this recap on a different blog last year. I thought I'd write it up again, add photos, and share the trip with new readers. Enjoy!)

Day 10 - Thursday, July 8th - Savannah, GA
As I stated before, Savannah was absolutely gorgeous. A wonderful downtown that has been preserved (or restored) and is in wonderful shape. It's a cute town for walking around, lots of history, wonderful stories. I think I said a few times "I think I could live there".
 Nevermind that it was 100 degrees on the day that we were there. We'll skip that part.
I apologize if old homes aren't your thing, but I could look at them for hours.

We took a trolley tour around the historical district, which was informative and a nice way to see the town. The city is split into sort of quadrants with a square (park) in the middle of each area. For lunch we were told time and again to go to Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House for her family style meal, and we stood outside for an hour and 15 minutes (remember - we are skipping the part about the heat), and finally sat down to a delicious meal of fried chicken, biscuits, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, lima beans, creamed corn, greens, macaroni and cheese, macaroni salad and more that I can't even remember what else. Ohhh it was good. So that was a highlight :)
 I apologize for the lighting - the restaurant is in a daylight basement and the overhead lighting was dim.
We went over to the river and took a riverboat cruise, but I'll be honest and say that the Savannah riverfront is... not very exciting. We were pretty exhausted so we rested a while in the AC at the hotel, and then got some ice cream at the marketplace.

1 comment:

  1. I could tell that was Savannah right away before looking at the caption. What a fun place to go to. I love historical tours and things like that. The food sounds delicious.

    I'd really like to visit the northwest up by your hometown. My mom has been several times to visit her old high school friend in Salem. I considered going with her by mom planned her trip so fast I didn't have time to ask her!

    ReplyDelete