Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jelly Time

It's peanut butter week!

In my last post I talked about my favorite peanut butter. Yum.

The true destiny of peanut butter is to be paired in eternal bliss with jelly. Or jam. Or preserves. Whatever floats your boat. My manfriend asked "okay, but what's your favorite jelly?". Well, Manfriend, I haven't found a favorite yet. This is mostly because all store bought jelly is incredibly sweet. I need to learn to make my own. However, my favorite flavor is strawberry, with marionberry coming in a close second.
So today I will expound on the heavenly pairing of peanut butter and jelly. I'm a big fan. I ate it fairly often as a kid and even asked for a PB & J sandwich whenever my grandma made roast. As a teenager my favorite thing to eat was peanut butter and jelly on sourdough - a double decker. If you've never made a double decker, let me inform you: three pieces of bread, peanut butter and jelly in between all slices. Yum city. This is success:
Apparently I made my love for PB & J well known because I received this shirt a few years ago from a friend.
 Note: I am not the man pictured above.
Everybody knows about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And you've probably had peanut butter and jelly toast. And I wouldn't put it past anybody to have made peanut butter and jelly on a bagel. 

But what about other executions? Let me recount some for you. 

**When I was living in South Korea I couldn't find decent bread. I ate peanut butter and jelly saltine sandwiches. I'm not kidding. Little saltine sandwiches, painstakingly put together. Still yum. 
**Peanut butter and jelly on plain pita chips. Yummers.
**Peanut butter and jelly taquitos. At home, I made them in flour tortillas. Here at the daycare, Cande (our cook), makes homemade corn tortillas and then fills them with PB & J. 
**Peanut butter and jelly on a spoon. Who needs bread?

And my favorite...... 
**Peanut butter and jelly ice cream. I ain't kiddin'. My mom always shops at Grocery Outlets which very often stock discontinued items. One day she picked up four pints of Ben and Jerry's: vanilla ice cream swirled with peanut butter and strawberry jelly. After those pints were gone I began to make my own and have even asked for a specialty mixed Blizzard at Dairy Queen. 

I dare you to try it. Vanilla ice cream, top with a spoon of peanut butter and a spoon of jelly. Mix, or eat little by little.

Any other suggestions? I am open to any and all recommendations involving peanut butter and jelly.

1 comment:

  1. A fellow PB&J fan! I eat them all the time on rice cakes, and it tastes amazing! Also--a spoon of Pb and J in Greek yogurt. I make open-faced sandwiches too, with Pb and then a layer of sliced strawberries...I could go on!
    :)

    ReplyDelete